A Victim of Procrastination

So, I had the morning off with full plans to be extremely productive. And have I been? ... not so much.

First of all, I woke up with a bad stomachache, so I just laid around in bed for a while. I got a call in to work, and was a little grateful I had a legitimate reason not to come in.  I did however, choose not to go back to sleep and I guess I haven't been completely unproductive.

I officially enrolled in an online class with Brookhaven College. A to Z Grant Writing. Hopefully this class will give me an edge on applying to grant writing positions with non-profits. I think I'd enjoy working in that environment--it'd be meaningful and rewarding. Not sure if I want to do it full-time, but I have noticed that a lot of places look for contract/freelance grant writers, who I guess they hire as needed. I also think I could use my grant writing skills not just for money, but for charity. I have a few friends who are running or trying to start non-profits, and I wouldn't mind "donating" my expertise to help them out--it's something I've wanted to do, but without the proper know-how have not been able to. So, needless to say, I'm excited about this class!

I also discovered that I could get financial aid to take classes through the Workforce Commission. I went ahead and filled out an application to receive financial aid for a Technical Writing and Photoshop class. If they are approved, I can start both classes next month! I've applied to quite a few Technical Writing positions, and only got a call back from one, which I don't think I got since it's been about three weeks since that screening interview. So, taking that class could be beneficial to me. The Photoshop class is entirely for my interest in photography.

I guess that makes my morning productive enough--considering that I also applied to two book reviewer jobs, too. However, none of that was on the agenda today.

Today was supposed to be about working on my writing samples, my personal statement, and beginning my applications for MFA programs. And none of that has taken place.

It feels good, however, to know that I'm not alone.


Procrastination
Copyright, The New Yorker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

Why Do You Date?