End of an Era... with Teaching

When I started teaching in the Fall of 2011, I didn't think I'd still be teaching seven years later. Being a teacher was a job I fell into, and while the choice wasn't made haphazardly, if I am being honest, it was made mostly out of desperation.

I started this blog in 2010 after I was fired from my job as an editorial assistant at CURE magazine (I still feel it was somewhat a wrongful termination and that my inexperience was taken advantage of, but not the point of this post). I was lost, I was disillusioned, I felt like a failure and was positive I'd never be able to lift my head up again and take pride in the work I did.

I spent the next year applying for jobs and getting very little responses of any kind. I wasn't qualified to receive unemployment, someone called Immigration on me (joke's on them, I'm a citizen), I took a myriad of tests to figure out what color my parachute was or whatever, I applied to a bunch of MFA programs. I volunteered with church, helped read and edit a friend's novels, wrote a little bit myself (including some freelance blogging and copy-writing about erectile dysfunction to make a few bucks; that was a bit painful). Ended up working part-time at the YMCA and Huntington Learning Center, and eventually was able to student teach to get my teacher's certificate.

I really still wanted a job in the publishing world (ideally with books, but with two degrees in journalism, I was still primarily looking at media outlets), but I also needed to pay bills. My two part-time jobs weren't even covering my rent (which I also couldn't even make enough money at one time to afford to break the lease on). I had student loan debt looming over my head, as well as credit card debt from the post-graduate school unemployment before I began my job at CURE.

And then post-student teaching, I got a job working with Teach for America's Houston Institute, which ultimately led to my job at YES Prep. I was thrilled. Not only was I employed again, but I believed in the YES Prep mission and education has always been an important value to me.

I thought I'd do it for two years, and then I'd maybe go back to journalism. But on June 1st, I ended my 7th year of teaching. SEVEN YEARS. And on June 2nd, I got to watch most of my very first group of 6th grade students walk across the stage and graduate from high school. And with a lot of trepidation, mixed with a lot of excitement, I decided I was going to "graduate" too and leave YES Prep.

Okay... I had officially made the decision back in January when I had my mid-year meeting, and had already submitted my resignation back in March. And if I'm honest, the decision was one I had started ruminating over after my second year of teaching, began seriously considering during Year 5, and Year 7 is just when I decided to take the plunge.

Seven is a good number. For many, it's a lucky number. In religious theology, it's the number of completion. In Harry Potter, it's the number of years you spend at Hogwarts. At YES, it's generally the cycle of a class within our school buildings.

Teaching has been good to me. I built a lot of great relationships with students and their families, as well as with my coworkers. I got to travel to six of the seven continents over my summers off (generally with students, but that added to the fun). I got to learn new skills, push myself constantly, create amazing resources, write a few blogs.

Teaching has also been very hard--one of the hardest things I've ever done in life. There were lots of days I stayed at school till 9pm or later, had my weekends consumed with grading 167+ papers, felt bullied by pre-teens and teenagers and had a few breakdowns in the staff lounge or bathroom, felt bullied by parents and managers and had a few breakdowns in my car. It was exhausting being teacher, counselor, parents, disciplinarian, etc.

As each year passed, it just felt like less and less of a good fit for me. I was only really enjoying about 25-50% of the work I did. I realized that I loved the opportunities I had outside of the classroom a lot better, like curriculum writing and development, helping teachers problem-solve, planning extracurricular opportunities like travel, the Spelling Bee and talent shows.

And ultimately, I had old dreams that were unfulfilled and felt like now would be a good time to pursue them. And so that's what I'm going to do.

In some ways, I'm taking a blind leap of faith here. I am currently back to being unemployed (slightly stressful after having lived that life once), but I do have a clear plan...

To simply the re-telling of the plan, here's what I shared on Instagram:


A post shared by bunmi_ishola (@bunmi_ishola) on


 (by the way, the typo was fixed in an update, my Kindle just never updated!)




I may return to teaching some day, or at least to the education world, but right now I feel like I'd be a pretty bad teaching if I stayed where I was. It'd be doing what was easy and safe versus taking a risk and following a passion--something I try to encourage my students to do all the time.

So, here's to an end of one great thing and to the beginning of something new! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

My Story: Why I'm Going To India