When it Rains, It Pours...?

I already entered this week with a lot of anxiety, and having all sorts of sentimental nostalgic feelings because this week was my last official week in Houston. While I know I'll return to visit family and friends, I don't know if I'll be returning beyond a short-term stay ever again. So of course, I was (am) a bit of an emotional mess.

But... everything seemed to conspire against me, and so far every day this week has held some disaster that has made making this transition just a *little* bit harder...

Oh, and it didn't help that it rained pretty much THE. WHOLE. WEEK. #overit

MONDAY: 

I had my final doctor's appointment before my insurance expires (hello, unemployed life). I have been going to the same eye doctor for the last three years... didn't love her, but our school switched insurance groups a while back and the one I loved was no longer covered. But anyway... I show up to discover, once again, I'm no longer covered because we had had another switch (that I vaguely remember registering in August last year, but promptly forgot). Had they called me? We called you multiple times! No... you didn't... cause you has a VERY wrong number for me, which makes no sense since I haven't changed my number in 15 years, but whatever. So I frantically find an eye doctor who my insurance will cover and get an appointment... BUT... it also meant I had to cancel on plans I had to visit a friend and say final farewells.

Minor in the grade scheme of things, and I return to my apartment to finish last minute cleaning and packing, but then get asked to come into the bookstore (where I work very part-time) two hours early since another coworker had a mini family emergency. I'm happy to help, but it does throw off my schedule/plan just a little bit.

But... Work is happy. I leave work. I unlock my car. I sit down in my car. I try to start my car.

It. Won't. Start.

In fact, it won't do anything.

Turns out my battery was 100% dead. Absolutely no juice. No, I did not leave anything on or running. No, I had not had any issues or indication it was maybe struggling.

I call road-side assistance. I am told they are going to arrive in 75-90 minutes!!! It is raining, but I walk the two blocks home anyway to a) finish cleaning my apartment; b) give some stuff to my neighbor; c) not have to sit in my car sadly in the rain for over an hour; and d) freak out that I may be late to my Incredibles 2 movie date.

Thankfully, it didn't take an hour, the car got jumped, I went home and loaded my stuff into the car. And then turned in my keys to my landlord. I officially no longer lived at 336. (That may have been a sadder experience than the car battery).

Upside of the Day: I know knew I needed a new battery before my long road trip and Incredibles 2 was delightful (I LOVE JACK-JACK!).


TUESDAY:


New day, clean slate! I take my car to the dealership to get my battery replaced. An impatient lady snaps at me for not pulling forward fast enough for her. They tell me it'll take two hours. I Uber to meet a friend from lunch. I get lectured by my Uber driver for "wasting money and not replacing my battery on my own."

Lunch is delightful, friend drops me off to pick up my car, I drive to the Galleria mall with plans to go to NY&Company, only to discover there is no NY&C in the Galleria. Re-route to Rice Village. It's a horrible store (so disorganized) and I can't find want I want. Go into other stores. Realize I don't have my car keys. Go back to everywhere I've been. NY&C is the least helpful in trying to find my keys. Feel like an idiot and on the verge of tears, but I am so upset that I mostly just laugh at my idiocy. Another friend picks me up and we get second lunch, then she drives me to Katy so I can meet my dad, who drives me to Pearland-area to get my spare, and then drives me back to Rice Village to get my car. I decided to check NY&C again...



So glad Tuesday was over.

Upside of the Day: My friends are great. And while I didn't find a pair of jeans like I hoped I would, I did discover a cute new store in Rice Village and I did find some nice dress pants on sale!

cute little faith-based boutique



WEDNESDAY:

Actually, was a perfectly okay day.

First...
Met a friend for coffee in the morning.
Then...

I went into the book store to work on a display project for the Great American Read #GreatReadPBS



Only downside was the stress from the day before was still lingering and I felt on edge all day.

Upside of the Day: If something bad happened, I can't remember it. And since I was at the bookstore, I went to Torchy's afterwards!

A post shared by bunmi_ishola (@bunmi_ishola) on



THURSDAY:

First...


Then... I was going to go see Ocean's 8 for free, but decided to pass and instead I ran some final errands: recycled my old busted cell-phone at Best Buy, tried (and failed) to recycle an old pair of glasses (y'all, the Med Center gives me so much anxiety), and visited Blue Willow Books as part of my summer homework before Denver.

Met a friend for coffee. Then joined her on a trip to JC Penny's... WHERE I LOST MY CAR KEYS AGAIN!!!!! Thankfully I was able to find my keys a lot more quickly this time, and I didn't have time to spiral into a complete meltdown. But at this point, I've decided something is clearly wrong with me. Have dinner with a friend in her new home. And scene.

Upside of the Day: Besides losing the keys again and being lost in the Med Center, it was actually a decent day--all the friend time was good for my soul.

Friday:

I babysat my niece and nephew. While they are delightful, it all just felt stressful. Won't put the littles on blast though. Let's just say my emotions just didn't let me have as much patience as I could have had...

I then went to pick up a bag I had dropped off to get repaired earlier in the week to discover the job wasn't done the way I understood it would be. So I'll have to take it somewhere else later. And pay more money. Ugh.



Had a delightful dinner with church friends, and then caught up with a friend from grad school after 10 years...



And then on my way home, I am stopped AT MY EXIT... and given a ticket. For *barely* speeding in an apparent work zone, with workers present (no signs of it being a work zone or workers from my vantage point, but whatever). Speeding is speeding, so that's not really why I am mad. It was just one more thing to go wrong in my week, that will cost me money I didn't plan on spending, and as I watched a billion other cars zoom by me at a much faster speed than I had been going, I couldn't help but feel better about my unlucky lot.

Upside of the Day: I got more summer homework done, and I mapped out my summer road trip!

I leave Monday, and will return this way in about 2 months later! 

So glad it's the weekend. And maybe nothing else can go wrong. Right?

Hope your week was much smoother than mine,

B :-)

Upside of the Week: Not that I've typed this all out, I'm able to objectively realize it was a pretty sweet week and I'm just sad and stressed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

Why Do You Date?