"Dear America": More Student Poetry

While I was in Nigeria in April, another assignment I left behind for students was for them to read three poems, and then write their own.

All three poems had to do with the poets' views on being American: "I Hear America Singing" by Walt Whitman, "I, Too, Sing America" by Julia Alvarez and "I, Too" by Langston Hughes. I got the idea from examples of other student work online, like this.

Most of the kids resonated the most with the two "I, Too" poems and chose to write their own version representing a voice in America they feel is not often heard.

Here's a few from kids who gave me theirs to publish...


Response to I, Too by Isabela F. 
I, too, sing America
I know it's been said before
but not in this voice.
Of the Sandia
and the guayaba
of inglés
con español

Ay sí
it's my turn
to Oh say
what I see
I'm going to sing America
inside me
from the strellas
of castaños, coahuila
to the thin waist
of Monclova
up to the spine of Texas
through the heartland
of the Dodgers.

To the great plain face of all of us
Singing America
the whole hemisphere familia
Cantando nuestra canción.
Singing our brown skin.
Into that white and read and blue song
the big song
that sings
el canto
que cuenta
cent toda America
un new song

Ya llego el momento
our moment
bajo el sol
ese sol que brilla
en todos.
uno-dos-tres
You tambien soy America


Response to I, Too by Elizabeth M.
I, too, sing America.
I am the homeless one.
They send me to the streets company doesn't come,
I cry, eat what I have, and grow weak.

Tomorrow, I'll be at the shelter when company does come.
Nobody'll dare say, "Go back to the streets" then.

Besides, they'll see how hopeless we are
And feel pity.

I, too, am America.


Response to I, Too by Vivi F. 
I, too, sing America.
I am the darker sister.
They tell me to not wear bright colors when company comes.
But I laugh,
and dress well.
And mentally grow.

Tomorrow,
I'll be brightly bright
When companies comes.
Nobody'll dare say to me,
"Don't wear that!"
then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed.

I, too, am America.


Response to ??? by Michael S. (this one didn't follow the instructions, but liked the passion)
Before I start let me sit on my throne.
Everyone knows that the dreamers are bad to the bone.
Now all y'all bow down.
We are the future, let me put on my crown.
Now all my dreamers I want you to wipe off your frown.
We're meant to be wild.
Pick your head up my child, there's no more pain.
All the dreamers, smartness comes from their brain.
Now you respect me.
I am in charge.
For all the dreamers are large.
Let no one talk down to you.
We are the best.
We are worth more than a pot of gold or a treasure chest.
Nothing can intimidate us.
For we are fearless.
Nothing can stop us.
So you better not kill my vibe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

Why Do You Date?