So let's catch up a bit...

My last post was a bit all over the place. So let's start this new year right.

Will I be blogging more? I can't say for sure. I know it's not like I have this amazing group of followers who are relying on me. I started this blog for myself as a way to commit to writing on a regular basis and sort of working out big changes in my life.

I had just lost my job and felt lost as a person.

Over the years, the blog has evolved, but one thing has been consistent: I tend to mostly write about things as they are changing for me. The job, the living arrangement, the hair...

So what's changed since the last time I blogged in 2013?

  • I have moved once again. It seems I can't stay in one place for more than a year. In my life, I have moved a total of 18 times (no including the back and forth each summer of college). I have lived in two different countries and four different U.S. states. I'm kind of at a point where I really want to stay in one place and call it home. I currently have an 18-month lease in a cute little triplex that I love. A bit less space than the last place, but not as old and safer. Plus... no one is trying to demolish it to make a parking lot.
 
  • I not only teach, but I'm also a course leader. This means that not only do I get to plan lessons, but the unit plans, unit assessments, common assessments and lead content day meetings. I will say that it is more work than I anticipated, but it's also really cool and I've learned so much about the art of teaching and really think more carefully about the "why" behind what we do in the classroom each day. I spend a lot of time thinking about curriculum and creating quality resources that I think after I've taught for a few years I want to be a content writer/curriculum developer.
I love thinking about all the possibilites for good Social Studies instruction!


  • I can maybe sort of call myself a runner. Crazy, I know. I hate to work out. I hate to run (although I don't mind biking), but I've been coaxed into doing some fun runs in the past (Color Run) or doing a 5K for a good cause (Race of the Cure). But this past year... I ran a half-marathon. Okay... a half-marathon relay--I ran 6-ish miles, and a co-worker ran the other. I actually trained for this run... and while I didn't run my entire leg without stopping, I did run nearly 3 miles before I had to stop and walk the first time and all-in-all ran more than 4.5 miles total! And then I did a 5K some months later. And the crazy thing is, I plan to do both again this year! (And maybe train harder and run further, we'll see!)



  •  I'm actually doing things in Houston. Mostly through church, but I've been to a Hoe Down, a Christmas Eve party... and I just actually make plans and have a pretty fulfilled life. Do I still miss my life and friends in Dallas? You bet. But I've also learned to really be content with my life in Houston and to live it more fully.








I'm sure there's more, but I'll stop there for now! 2013 was a great year, and I'm really excited for this new year and making more memories. No promises, but I'll also try to not let updates be so far apart from each other!


A little picture reel courtesy of Google+ of my 2013
(there are probably more picture of other people in this than me, but hey...)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

My Story: Why I'm Going To India