30 Days of 30: The Last Days

Well... after spending 10 days in Orlando, wrapping up my #30daysof30 took some effort. I was exhausted, but every second felt worth it and I'm so glad I had been able to go. And while not all the remaining days were as exciting, they were just as meaningful in helping me start out this new year of life in the best way possible.

Day 23: Coke Float


I had just flown back in from Orlando the night before and had to go straight to work. I had barely slept the whole time, so I was dragging just a little bit. But of course, there was a surprise on my desk. From sweet Jess again. And it was Inca Cola! My favorite drink from my trip to Peru last summer! And later that night, I went to my favorite ice-cream place for a coke float. All-in-all, it was a good way to come back home and keep on celebrating.


Day 24: Got My Hair Did

Goal... look good as a 30-year-old. So of course that means getting my hair done. My cousin came over and worked her magic on me.



Day 25: When Plans Change

I was supposed to be heading to Dallas on this day. The plan was supposed to be dinner with my family and friends that evening, and then the next morning tackle the State Fair before celebrating my aunt and uncle's wedding anniversary/vow renewal.

But sometimes, things don't work out as you plan. I missed my MegaBus (slightly my fault since I went to finally renew my driver's license and then traffic ended up being horrendous), all of my friends seemed to be too busy to actually make plans, and I felt... sad. But then I went to go hang out with my sister and cousin, we ordered some pizza and binged out on TV... and I had a plan to redeem the weekend. I felt better.

Finally getting a new driver's license! With a much better picture! Great way to start out 30!
And how can pizza not make everything better?
Day 26: Surprising Natalie! 

So initially, the plan was Dallas for the 25th and 26th, and then take a flight to Amarillo to spend the day with Natalie and Cheryl before heading back to Houston. But with the Dallas plans falling through and me missing my bus to Dallas, I rearranged my flight (with some help) and decided to head to Amarillo a day early. I didn't tell Natalie this, just Cheryl. We both had our layover in Dallas, caught up for like 5 hours and then flew to Amarillo together.

Nat was just expecting Cheryl... and her face when she got both of us! It was the BEST!

We pretty much just hung out and talked a lot. Went shopping, got our nails done, ate dinner.

These two ladies were some of my closest friends during college, and life has spread us out a bit and the three of us hadn't been together since about 2008.

Day 27: Amarillo 

We went to Nat's church and she preached (it was so good), and then we went to watch Nat's son's football game, before getting some ice-cream and making sure I caught my flight back to Houston.

It was a good weekend, and we just relished in the fact that no matter how much time passes, and no matter how much distance is between us, we will always be the best of friends.



Day 28: Called to Change the World

Over the days I was in Orlando, a Bible Study started at my church called "Called." So I planned today to go to this Bible Study and learn. Start out this 30th year with some clear perspective on who God is and what He has called me to do.

My friend, Serena, met me there and caught me up on the weeks I missed. And then she gave the sweetest gift ever: A map of the world on wood. We had seen a painting of this on a wall in IKEA and she had mentioned she could get a friend to make it for me. And she did.

It sits on the entertainment center in my living room, in place of a TV. It represents my love of travel, and the fact that I teach World Cultures. But I think it also serves as a reminder of The Great Commission: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."



Day 29: Just one more day left... and I'm sick

I think I ran myself into the group trying to celebrate for 30 days. But Day 29 started with me feeling horrible, and by the end of the day I just wanted to find my bed.

I had bought myself some books that came in the mail that day, so I counted that as the birthday gift for Day 29. And then a friend ordered me some dinner and had it delivered to my home. So I spent Day 29 in a calm and quiet way. Alone, coloring in my new adult coloring book, and eating some good food.


Day 30: Last Day

#30Daysof30 officially ended with family. I started the month celebrating with my siblings, but didn't get to see my brother-in-law or the kiddos. So we all met up for dinner at a Thai restaurant, and they got my a cupcake from Oh La La (which is becoming our new family tradition on birthdays).



I couldn't have dreamed of a better ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

Why Do You Date?