Out of My Hands

So, last night I had a mini panic attack. I was in the process of going through my checklist for UT-Austin and Ohio State University--you know, dotting my i's and crossing my t's--and checking to see if the application materials had to be received by December 15, or just postmarked (I was kind of hoping that maybe if I had one more day, I could include the new version of "Ruined," too).

UT stressed that it must be received by, and OSU said postmarked. Except, then I noticed that on their website, OSU had the deadline listed as December 1. My heart stopped. I was pretty positive that I saw December 15 on their website when I was first creating my list of schools, where had this December 1 date come from? I was 13 days late!

I didn't know if I should cry, scream, rip out my hair, put on ashes and sackcloth... . I had spent like $40 dollars requesting transcripts, $23 on a GRE score, pestered my recommenders to 'get on it!' AND just 4 days ago, on December 10, I submitted my application only and relinquished $40 doing that. That was A LOT of money and time going into a school I wouldn't even be considered for!

I kept repeating, "Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot," and lost all drive to even work on any of the schools. I mean, really? How did I confuse December 1 with December 15?



Turns out the school had December 1, 2010 as the deadline, but on another page had December 15, 2008 as another. Somehow I focused on the '08 date. I took this as a sign that I am too big of an idiot to be trying to go back to school. And went to bed dejected.

This morning, however, I decided to give OSU a call and apparently tons of other applicants made the same mistake I did and they were making December 15 their deadline! I hadn't missed it!

So, today two large envelops were put in the mail. My applications to UT-Austin and Ohio State University are officially complete. And now I have to submit the other three online before midnight, and then begin focusing on the remaining seven.

And then, everything will all be completely out of my hands. I'll just have to sit around to March, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for a decision. In a way, I actually can't wait to reach that point. I'm not even half-way through and I'm exhausted.

Comments

  1. Yay! :) I think freak outs like this (at least one) are a necessary part of the MFA application process. I'm glad you got the OSU stuff sorted out and that those envelopes are on their way. Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm Okay Being Single

Me Before You

Why Do You Date?